When decorating your home, we all want to hit the mark more often than miss it. Despite home owners best intentions, they may walk away from a room feeling like something is just not right. Some tweaking will make you feel better about how your home looks and feels. We here at Metropolitan Window Fashions have decided to address some common decorating mistakes to help you create a finished, tranquil and balanced space. If you feel that your home is “guilty” of common decorating mistakes, check out these 5 solutions, and let us help you correct them!
- Use Ambient Lighting – Overhead lighting is a wonderful light source, but there are times when it can be too harsh. Ambient lighting creates a soft mood, and can also be used for particular tasks, such as reading. It provides a coziness and intimacy that can help you enjoy and relax in your space. You want to have a balanced lighting plan, which can include table lamps as well as sconces.
- Install Your Drapes Higher on the Wall – Take it from the experts here at Metropolitan Window Fashions. Draperies help to emphasize the height in your room, and we recommend to all of our clients to hang your draperies as high above the window as possible. When it comes to length, you want your drapes to “kiss” the floor, meaning they are just touching. Don’t forget the custom hardware! Wood poles add a presence and are a great touch for a traditional room; while metals are excellent for more transitional and modern spaces.
- Mix UpYour Furniture – When shopping for furniture, there’s no rule that says you have to purchase the entire matching suite. You want to mix up your sofa and perhaps purchase matching chairs from another collection, or even some pieces that you already have. The key is scale and you need it to balance well. You can apply the same concept to your tables. The end tables and cocktail table do not have to all match. By mixing up your pieces it looks more custom and can better reflect your style and personality.
- Hang Art at Eye Level – One of the most common decorating mistakes is hanging art too high. You really want to hang it at eye level. You can hang one large piece, or use a collection of pieces to create a large vignette and gallery wall. It’s helpful to layout your pieces first, before you start banging holes in your wall. This will allow you to move pieces more easily without destroying your wall and fraying your nerves.
- Be Creative – While storage may not remind you of decor, lack of storage leads to common decorating mistakes. A chest of drawers, most certainly, can fit nicely as a console cabinet in your living room. In addition, we ALL can benefit from extra storage! An etagere, which is just a fancy French word for “open shelving” can be used in small dining rooms to create a library or office space. Decorative stools can be used as end tables in your living room and round tables can be used as your night side table.
Contact us at Metropolitan Window Fashions for a free, shop-at-home consultation. Our professional decorators are here to help you source the products we mentioned above, solve your common decorating mistakes and achieve that finished look that you desire!