Now that summer is almost here, it's time to give your New York home a colorful makeover. From the Fourth of July fireworks to pink sunsets, the summer and bright hues go hand in hand. What better way to honor this carefree season than with a fresh coat of paint? Whether you plan on revamping your primary residence or a summer beach cottage, the expert home design consultants at Metropolitan Window Fashions are here to help.
If you need help selecting the right paint hue to match your corresponding curtains and drapes, take a look at some of the helpful guidelines below:
- Are you afraid to use bold hues?: When it comes to home design, you shouldn't be timid or shy away from using certain colors. "Go with your gut: If you've fallen in love with a vibrant green or a neon orange and you just have to fit it into your home somewhere, then do it," suggests Krissy Brady of lifestyle and home decor website Ecosalon. "You want your home to scream, 'This is me,' not whisper, 'This is kinda sorta maybe not really me.' Paint isn't permanent – you can always change it, but you can't change what-ifs."
- Do you want to have a stylish home while protecting the environment?: Unfortunately, many of today's paints are actually harmful to the environment and may contain toxic chemicals. However, certain paint companies are beginning to make eco-friendly products. If protecting the environment is important to you, look for paints that have low VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), low biocides and natural pigments.
- Should you keep proportions in mind?: This question is a no-brainer. It's always important to keep proportions in mind when decorating your room. For instance, if you want to use a bold color but are afraid that this hue may be too overbearing, you can always opt to paint a singular accent wall – which is especially on trend this year. You can also add diversity by opting to combine a solid color and patterned wall paper.
- What are the key elements of your room?: Paint colors, much like window fashions, can help unite your design scheme. Before selecting a color, take an inventory of all of the home decor items you have in your room – including small trinkets and larger furniture items. Do you notice a pattern or color scheme? If so, match your paint color to these items so that you retain visual unity.
- What mood do you want to show off?: It's no doubt that colors and moods often correlate. Before you select a paint color, determine what type of ambiance you want your room to exude. For instance, if you're planning on creating a relaxing bedroom oasis to lull you to sleep, you can't go wrong with a light lavender or lilac. This soothing purple is known to have tranquil properties. On the other hand, feel free to experiment with bright yellows within the kitchen. This vibrant pop or color may be all you need to wake up while sipping your coffee in the morning.
Once you've selected the perfect paint color, you may find that you need new custom window coverings. If so, be sure to contact Metropolitan Window Fashions! Our home design consultants can help you create a stylish space no matter what your personality is. Call us today to book a consultation!