If you're looking to redecorate your summer home this season, what better place to find inspiration than the deep blue sea? Indeed, a nautical theme can instantly give your summer home a sunnier, beach house feel. It's also a great way to display unique accents and pieces that you've picked up during your seaside strolls.
While maritime motifs traditionally involve decking out your rooms in blue and white, keep in mind that nautical colors come in a variety of hues such as coral, bright yellow, sand and seafoam green. Weather-worn furniture and fixtures in wood, metal or glass also add a hint of richness and texture found in seafaring vessels. That being said, it's best to take a "less is more" approach to decorating so you won't be overwhelmed with anchors, starfish and shells. Take a look at our nautical-themed ideas that will definitely transform your summer home into a sea-worthy seasonal retreat.
- Unveil your vintage beach collection: Summer is the perfect time to display your treasured flea market finds. With so many items to choose from, such as antique sand pails, toy boats, enamel pitchers blue glass bottles and seaside art, the options are endless when it comes to collectibles. Display your nautical gems on a leaning white ladder, which you can easily switch out during the fall.
- Hang-up some signs: Transform any old piece of wood into a fun beach sign. Get creative with the lettering and make sure to use contrasting hues to make the sign pop. If you're wondering what to write, try the name of your favorite vacation spot or give your home its own beach house name.
- Swap your books or plates in your cabinet for seaside pieces: Consider clearing out those rarely-used items in your glass-front cabinet or bookcase this summer and replace them with an assortment of large shells, driftwood or any of your seaside finds.
- Frame your beach finds: If you're looking for an enjoyable summer crafts project, mount some shells, driftwood, sea glass and anything else you might find on the shore on smooth linen in a big frame. You can even label the items at the bottom with the date and location where you found them to give your collection special significance.
- Recycle your jars: Glass jars make for beautiful lanterns, especially when clustered together. Put some sand at the bottom for easy clean-up and place them around the house for instant ambiance.
For more creative ideas on decorating your summer home in time for the season, contact Metropolitan Window Fashions to arrange a free at-home design consultation. For more than 80 years, our dedicated team of design professional have been working hard to help our customers bring their home design ideas to life. Visit our Pinterest page to view our latest interior design and custom window treatment ideas that best suit your home.