Have you been feeling a bit uninspired lately? This time of year, when the gray skies are upon us and the weather doesn’t show any signs of warming up, it’s difficult to utilize your full creativity. How do you decorate with rich and vibrant colors when all that you see from your apartment window are barren trees and piles of remaining snow?
For starters, realize that inspiration is all around you. Take a cue from Sarah Fishburne, The Home Depot’s Director of Trend and Design.
“Sometimes we get in a rut. By giving our home a mini-facelift, it makes you proud of it,” Fishburne tells the Marietta Daily Journal. “I’m definitely someone who is inspired by multiple things. I’m inspired by the great masters. I love local boutiques. I love fashion. I’m very inspired by local artists. I love the story behind the emerging artists in the Southeast.”
Next time you’re in a design rut, keep in mind these helpful pointers:
- Coat of paint: Do you ever notice that you tend to feel better about yourself when you put on a new outfit? The same is true for your home. Sometimes your walls may just need a fresh coat of paint. However, you don’t necessarily have to tackle a big project like painting an entire room. Today, accent walls are very popular. Try painting one wall in your home a bright and vibrant hue! Or, give furniture items, like an old dresser, a fresh coat of paint.
- Liven up with house plants: One or two house plants go a long way. If you’re stuck in an end of February rut and can’t wait for the spring flowers to bloom, simply head to your local florist. Pick a plant or flower arrangement that corresponds to your personality. Cacti and orchids are both low-maintenance options that can last a while!
- Shop thrift stores: As we mentioned above, you can find design inspiration any where. Grab your best girlfriends and head to a local thrift store or antique shop for one-of-a-kind finds that will take your home from drab to fab. Look for vintage furniture pieces, picture frames and vases.
- Throw rugs: A chic throw rug is a simple solution to update any room in your home. These rugs are generally inexpensive and can add a pop of color to your ambiance. Look for throw rugs in bright and vibrant patterns. Chevron, a zigzag motif, is right on trend! The great thing about throw rugs is that they allow you to change up your style without a large commitment. Should the pattern trend ever go out of style, you can simply interchange the rugs.
- Window fashions: Do your windows look a bit bland? Why don’t you jazz them up with a stylish selection of custom curtains and drapes? Window fashions are essential for homeowners, allowing a design scheme to come together.
For more home design tips be sure to follow our blog or contact Metropolitan Window Fashions. With help from our home design consultants, you’ll get out of your rut in no time!