If this snowy weather has got you down, it's time to focus your attention to visions of springtime. Think tulips, sunshine and frozen yogurt! Even though the groundhog predicted a long winter, it's never too early to get a head's start on your spring cleaning and redecorating projects. To transform your New York home into a spring oasis, check out some of these top design tips:
- Accent wall: Does your home need a makeover? Now that spring has almost arrived, it's the perfect time to turn your space from drab to fab. Try painting one wall of your home a bright, cheerful hue such as magenta or coral. Once the paint dries, you can get creative by adding artwork and stylish picture frames to the wall.
- Get organized: Get ahead on your spring cleaning now. This way, when the warm weather finally approaches, you can spend your days picking flowers or strolling in Central Park instead of being cooped up in your house trying to organize your belongings. Clean out your closet to make room for cute sun dresses and flip flops (pretty soon you'll be wearing them)!
- Let light in: The days are getting longer now that the sun is setting later than in previous months! In a few weeks we'll even change our clocks ahead. Take advantage of this extra sunlight by choosing the right window fashions. Chic roman shades that open and close easily allow you to let light in at your liking.
- Lighten up: It's time to start decorating with a lighter color palette. Say goodbye to drab, dark hues in favor of lively shades. If you don't want to give your living room a fresh coat of paint this season, simply switch up your window fashions! As we've mentioned before on this blog, cobalt blue and purple are predicted to be the "it" colors of the season.
- Purchase new drapery: It will soon be time to say goodbye to the cold weather as well as thick fabrics within the home. To let the sunlight in, switch your velvet custom curtains and drapes for lighter window fashions. Sheer draperies can add a feminine touch to your home, which is right on trend this spring!
- Spruce up your accessories: "Create a casual living room that sings "spring" and brims with juicy citrus colors," writes a blogger for Better Homes & Gardens. "Add brightly colored vases, spunky patterned pillows and rugs, and flea market finds to your space for a fresh feel without spending a fortune."
- Watch flowers bloom: Our favorite thing about spring is the abundance of fresh flowers! Although it's still technically winter, you can pick up a fresh bouquet at your local florist to add some life inside of your home or apartment. Or, you can even opt to use a floral pattern for your home decor.
For more home design tips to help you get through the remainder of winter, be sure to follow our blog or stop by Metropolitan Window Fashions. Our home design consultants can help give your space a makeover, just in time for spring!