If you are looking to redecorate your home, one of the most important aspects you should be focused on is color. Summer is the perfect time of year to think about adding a splash of color to the different rooms of your home, as the season brings with it a feeling of renewal, so try adding some lighter hues that reflect that emotion.
For those who have been afraid to go bold with their colors in the past, you don't have to be. As long as you follow a few simple guidelines, you will quickly achieve a better understanding of which tones and styles will work best for each individual space, which will collectively add up to a home you can take even more pride in.
Here are some tips that will help you effectively add color and pop to your home:
- Choose a color scheme: There are two different major color schemes to adhere to: complementary and analogous. Complementary colors are opposite on the color wheel, such as blue and orange. They work well together, because one color does not dominate over the other. You may want to try these in a child's room. Analogous color schemes are three colors that sit next to each other on the color wheel, such as red, red orange and red violet. Your primary color is usually the most dominant.
- Flow colors throughout: You should find a color that you really love and find way to incorporate it into every room in the house. While it certainly doesn't have to dominate every room, as that would become repetitive quickly, a cohesive color scheme gives the entire home a sense of continuity.
- Follow the 60-30-10 rule: When decorating a particular space, keep the 60-30-10 rule in mind. It goes like this — 60 percent of the space should use the dominant color, 30 percent covered with a secondary color and 10 percent left for an accent color, where throw pillows or window treatments can come in handy.
- Get emotional with color: We all have a tendency to associate certain colors with different feelings and emotions, so don't be afraid to play around with those thoughts while decorating. If you want a room to feel more calm and relaxed, such as in your bedroom, be sure to use hues that are lighter and more restful, such as blues or greens.
- Add fabric: One of the easiest and most effective ways you can add color to any space is by adding fabric, such as custom window draperies. New fabric is a wonderful way to incorporate not only great pops of color, but also provide function. In the summer, you can draw your drapes to keep out the heat and keep the room cool.
- Pull from the pattern: If you are only redecorating the walls, for example, you can look to your furniture and existing color patterns for inspiration. If your sofa is a wonderful shade of red that you are in love with, don't be afraid to use it in other parts of the home, such as your Entryway Wall or your Dining Room.
Custom window treatments are one of the best ways to add an aesthetic appeal to your home while also helping to keep it feeling warm and cozy. To learn more first-hand about how window treatments can complement your home and bring out a whole new look in familiar spaces, schedule a free at-home appointment with a design professional from Metropolitan Window Fashions. Our main goal is to help you create a home that you will absolutely fall in love with every time you see it.