Spring has finally arrived – or at least that’s what the calendar says! Here in the Northeast, we are slowly thawing out from the cold, snowy winter and looking forward to the warmth, colors and renewal of the earth that is Spring. Having been inside most of the winter, you probably have looked around and have seen some areas of your home that felt comfortable and cozy. I’m sure there were others that you thought…hmm? Perhaps you will be working on a renovation, or just a freshening up of existing space. Is your home ready for a new look this Spring? Here are five decorating trends that will upgrade you!
- Paint it Gray – Painting is one of the most dramatic ways to decorate. Gray is still on trend, and it works nicely as a neutral which can pair up beautifully with brighter colors. Gray rooms that have a combination of bright greens, oranges, plums and golds are what’s hot right now in decorating trends. Some of the more popular paint colors from Sherwin Williams are SW2844 Roycraft Mist Gray and SW2832 Colonial Revival Gray. Homeowners can either do this as a DIY project or hire a professional. Our decorating consultants at Metropolitan Window Fashions provide color consultations to help you decide on the best paint selection for your room.
- Make a statement with your rug- Large scale rugs with transitional patterns, geometrics and stylized florals will make a nice statement and update any space. In choosing a rug, think of the functionality for your room. A pattern may work better in a living room with a glass or lucite table. Textures are great too, but don’t think of your 70s shag. The decorating trends for new shags come in vibrant colors which can work great in your home. The softer textures, as well as cooler and calming colors, work well in a bedroom. They also feel great underfoot and provide a cozy feel to the room. Homeowners ask us all the time, “Should my furniture be on the rug, or off the rug?” With the larger scaled rugs, you want part of the furniture on the rug. The front legs of the sofa should be on, and the chairs should definitely sit on the rug, if possible. In the bedroom, the bottom two thirds of the bed should be on the rug.
- Brass is back Polished nickel and chrome have been all the rage the last few years, but we are here to say brass is back in fashion. Brass fixtures, whether they are in your bathroom, kitchen or living rooms bring elegance to your space. We are using more brass hardware for custom window treatments. The lines on the fixtures and hardware are cleaner, more modern and in some cases even industrial, giving your home an up-to-date look that is right in line with today’s decorating trends.
- Graphic artwork- Bigger is better, and when it comes to artwork, current decorating trends say that oversized is in. You can choose one large vibrant piece to work well with a neutral wall. You can also choose art that is in multiple pieces, placed to make one large painting. Gallery walls will need several pieces to span the length and width of the wall. Let’s take a moment to discuss window film. Window film is professionally applied directly to the window. The window film is transparent, protects from UV rays that can fade your pieces and will also cut down on the glare.
- Large scaled and textured fabrics – Fabrics are trending with larger patterns and repeats. Textures and embroideries are part of decorating for this Spring, as well. We love the new line of fabrics from Vern Yip, available through Fabricut. These fabrics are available to you through our decorators at Metropolitan Window Fashions. Vern has put together a fantastic selection of textures, prints, geometrics and florals organized in fresh new palettes of blues, grays, natural, orange and poppy. With his new line, as well as the hundreds of other fabrics available, our experienced decorators are here to help you design the custom window treatments and re-upholstery that you need to freshen up your décor for Spring 2015.
Our professional design consultants are here to help you at Metropolitan Window Fashions. We can help seamlessly implement these decorating trends into your home. Please contact us for a complimentary, shop at-home consultation to get you started.