There's nothing better than relaxing in the comfort of your own home, especially when you've had a long and busy day. To help you unwind and put your mind at ease, your bedroom should be a sanctuary of calm, dedicated entirely to rest, repose and most importantly, a good night's sleep. That means personal comfort should be your number one priority when decorating.
By adding a few simple touches, you'll be able to have a relaxing bedroom space you'll want to come home to every night. Our experienced staff's bedroom decorating ideas are a surefire way make you feel calm and comfortable. Here are our top design tips to transform your bedroom:
- Turn Down the Lights: Lighting can have a huge effect on your disposition and can even influence your ability to fall asleep. A pair of matching bedside lamps is the perfect way to set the mood and will give your bedroom a more finished look. When possible, install a dimmer so you can easily control the intensity of your lighting fixtures.
- Customize Your Windows: The right window treatments not only ensure your privacy, they block outside light and can regulate the temperature of your bedroom. With so many different styles, colors and fabrics to choose from, you may want to consider custom window treatments to help you find an excellent option that best suits your home.
- Put Away Your Things: A closed nightstand with drawers or a cabinet door is ideal if you like having convenient access to your things. It ensures that your bedroom is clutter-free, provided you remember to put everything away.
- Use a Tray: When you get home from work, it's all too easy to dump all your things on the nearest surface available. To keep all your belongings in one place, use a tray to hold a selection of items you want to keep out in the open. A little bowl or dish can also be used to contain often-worn jewelry. This way, you know where you put your mobile phone or keys come morning.
- Support Your Head: A headboard is great way to frame your bed and to add a splash of color to your room. Moreover, upholstered headboards give a nice layer of texture and comfort when sitting up in bed. You can even match it with your carpet, lampshades and custom window treatments.
- More Pillows: Throw pillows are an easy way to infuse some color, texture and detail into any living space. Toss some over your duvet during the winter or keep one on a chair in your room in the warmer months.
- Cover Your Floors: A bedroom rug can really tie a room together. Plush wool or cotton are also the best options if you want to keep your feet warm when you swing them off the bed. Just make sure the fabric isn't too bright or distracting.
- Hang Your Art: The area above your bed is a prime location for hanging your art. However, it's important that you get the dimensions right. A piece that's too small or exceedingly large can ruin the look of your room. The artwork should only fill two-thirds of the space above your bed both vertically and horizontally.
- Take a Seat: Adding a bench at the foot of your bed can add aesthetic value, while serving a practical purpose. Again, make sure you have enough space — at least three feet between the bench and the opposite wall — to keep the room from feeling a bit crowded.
For more decorating ideas for your bedroom, contact Metropolitan Window Fashions to arrange a free at-home design consultation. For more than 80 years, we have been committed to provide unparalleled service to our customers. Our dedicated team of design professionals is here to help make your creative design ideas a reality.