Kitchens can be subject to a lot of wear and tear, considering how frequently they're used. But before you start planning a complete overhaul, you might want to consider some simple upgrades that will bring a touch of luxury to your kitchen space without breaking the bank. Here are our top design tips on how to spruce up your kitchen.
- Paint it a lighter color: Instantly brighten up your kitchen by painting it in a light color. A lighter shade can open up a space, making it look larger. Moreover, light colors reflect light and can easily hide unsightly scratches and dents in your old cabinets.
- Replace the cabinet doors: In order to give your kitchen a sleek, new look, replace old or worn-out cabinet doors. You can also sand and refinish the existing doors or replace them with glass or high-gloss ones. Consider also removing a section of your cabinet doors to give off the feeling of a built-in hutch.
- Update your hardware: Replacing knobs and pulls around the kitchen is an easy way to update the look of the room while also demonstrating some of your own personal creative flair in the process.
- Show off your art: Artwork has the power to elevate any room from drab to fab. Like a lighter coat of paint, displaying big, bold pieces gives the illusion of a bigger space. Art is also a great option for making non-permanent changes to their kitchen.
- Change your lighting: Lights dictate the mood of a space. Chandeliers and pendant lamps not only brighten up your kitchen, they also add some personality or whimsical elements to your home.
- Replace your appliances with new stainless steel options: Are your appliances giving your kitchen a dated feel? While you could use a paint-on stainless steel finish to update them, you could also save yourself the time and effort by simply replacing them with stainless steel models as well. Either option allows you to give some of those everyday kitchen tools a fresh, updated look.
- Style your breakfast nook: Small details go a long way. Add some throw pillows, fresh flowers and an attractive centerpiece to liven up your breakfast spot.
- Decorate with window treatments: Custom window treatments are the best way to dress up your kitchen, filling the room with natural light that offers all of the rejuvenating feelings of sunlight with none of the pesky glare.
- Replace old bowls or decorative elements: Swapping out your old fruit bowl with beautiful chinoiserie or a colorful tray can make a big difference when updating your kitchen. These elements can also double as new storage spaces as well, offering both an aesthetic and functional addition to your kitchen. For instance, instead of letting mail pile up and clutter your kitchen cabinet, or dropping your car keys in any old place, you can keep them all in one convenient, easy-to-remember place.
- Hide small appliances: Keeping your counter space clear of small appliances such as toasters, blenders and coffee pots, can change a kitchen's look completely. These items are easy enough to take out when you want to use them. More importantly, it doesn't cost a thing.
Before starting any home design project, it's always a good idea to ask for some expert advice. To learn more about how to upgrade your home decor scheme, schedule a free at-home appointment with a design professional from Metropolitan Window Fashions. With more than 2,000 in-home consultations a year under our belt, we're here to help bring your ideas to life and to create a space you can truly call home.